Cat owners are most often seduced, at the time of adoption, by the independence of this little cat. Indeed, the cat requires less attention than a dog while providing a comforting presence in the home. When the time comes to go on vacation, the question then arises: should we keep our cat or can we leave it alone for a few days? The answer obviously depends on the cat and his way of life, but it is strongly discouraged to leave his cat alone at home over a weekend. For a kitten, do not exceed 10 hours of absence.
It all depends on the character of the cat
If your hairball is rather lonely, like to make a living on its side and just ask to be fed every day to be happy, you can think to leave him alone two to three days maximum. And especially if he has access to the outside. But not every week either!
On the other hand, if your cat is rather of the kind very affectionate, even sticky, and that it spends its time to ask you for the attention, a day and a night of absence are largely sufficient. Indeed, your cat could feel a great anxiety at the thought of being alone too long. And in this case, pay attention to the depression!
Things to think about before leaving
Before going on a weekend, it is important to be sure you have thought of everything for the well-being of your cat:
- Water: leave a bowl of water larger than usual or add water bowls to the house. You can even invest in a water fountain so that your cat always has access to fresh water!
- The food: it is of course necessary to provide several bowls of croquettes to be certain that your cat will not starve.
- Toys: To prevent your cat from getting bored, leave him some toys he can not swallow.
- Littering: before leaving, you will need to change and clean your cat’s litter to ensure impeccable hygiene during your absence. You can also provide several litters scattered around the house so that it always has a clean space where to do its needs.
- Security: a single cat can easily lock himself in a closet or a room without wanting to. To avoid this, make sure everything that needs to be closed is. And remove all objects that could be dangerous for your cat (toxic plants, heavy and wobbly objects, sharp objects, etc.). Also, make sure the indoor temperature is cool enough (especially in summer). Once everything is in place, you can leave the spirit (almost) quiet. But be aware that it is better for your little companion that a loved one can still pass once a day. This will allow him to check his health and give him his dose of daily affection. Because, contrary to what cats have been trying to make us believe for thousands of years, they are indeed dependent on us and our love!